No smart ass postings today. I just wanted to report in.
I am pleased that except for shortness of breath at times, I feel pretty good.
Lots of nice people have contacted me at one time or another to offer support. Thanks. Please do not worry about contacting me here, by phone, or email. I am walking about and can (and would like to) meet with people here, there, and everywhere.
Another thing I would like is some suggestions for funny, happy movies---for after the next chemo and late at night.
...so I have completely resisted the "smart ass" urge, I can do it!
.....don't worry, be happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Yay! I have lots of good movies to loan you -- and quite a few chick flicks Anne will like.
But my prized possession -- and I wouldn't just offer this up to anybody -- is my Rocky box set. Yes, you can relive all the magic: From the film noir brilliance of the Oscar-winning first (which came out the year I was born), through the Apollo rematch, Mr. T, that nasty Russian at the height of the Cold War, and well... I don't remember much about the 5th. I'll admit it's the weak link.
Your opinion of me has just changed drastically, hasn't it?
I have quite a few dvd's that I never get to watch and I'll bring them over. Who wants to hang out with their super loving daughter?!
P.S. Glad to see where I got my ornery...
Hi Wil,
You have been in our thoughts. Great to read this blog, although a little wierd I must admit, I have never been on a blog before. You are always ahead of the curve, smart, funny and great natured. Everyone loves you and is pulling for you. From Tom and Ann
Hi Wil,
You have been in our thoughts. Great to read this blog, although a little wierd I must admit, I have never been on a blog before. You are always ahead of the curve, smart, funny and great natured. Everyone loves you and is pulling for you. From Tom and Ann
Wil,
Here are some comedy recommendations. Don’t know what you’ve seen, don’t know what you like, but… (I kind of got carried away – they are all available at netflix.com). Hang in there pal, I miss you.
Jennifer at UCM
If you like classic, slightly cynical, screwball comedy with smartass dialogue try director Preston Sturges’ comedies from the 1940s:
The Lady Eve
The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (funniest movie ever made)
The Palm Beach Story
The Great McGinty
Sullivan’s Travels
OTHER CLASSICS:
Some Like It Hot
Singin’ In the Rain
Arsenic and Old Lace (black comedy with Cary Grant)
Harvey (Jimmy Stewart & an invisible rabbit)
It Happened One Night (won 5 Oscars in 1934)
Adam’s Rib (Hepburn & Tracy)
All About Eve (Bette Davis)
His Girl Friday (Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell)
Trouble in Paradise – 1932, very classy
Duck Soup – Marx brothers
The Lavender Hill Mob – Alec Guinness
The Thin Man
The Producers-1968
Bell, Book and Candle
Cat Ballou
The Court Jester – Danny Kaye
CONTEMPORARY-ISH STUFF:
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (strange, but I like it)
Best in Show
Waiting for Guffman
Groundhog Day (Bill Murray)
Tootsie
Soapdish
Get Shorty (John Travolta & Gene Hackman)
Sleeper – old Woody Allen slapstick
Airplane!
The Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein (funniest movie ever made)
The In-Laws (1979 version)
My Favorite Year (Peter O’Toole)
A Fish Called Wanda
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
THE COHEN BROTHERS (an acquired taste):
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski (funniest movie ever made)
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Birdcage. In my opinion, there is nothing funnier. Four Rooms also. HILARIOUS FUNNY!
I could watch either again and again.
Wil:
Found out about your blog from my Mom. Going to be tough to add much to Jennifer's list ... pretty comprehensive ... but I also get a kick out of Ghostbusters actually, as a comedy movie (check it out if you haven't recently, it's better than you remember) plus random older Steve Martin movies such as My Blue Heaven ... I'm also a fan of Will Ferrell, his breakout role in Old School was hilarious (if you like dumb stuff, which you will be entirely unsurprised to hear that I do, also check out the screwball Zoolander by Ben Stiller) If you want to watch The Big Lebowski, you can head over to your son's house pretty much anytime, although I hear that he is into DVDs of Arrested Development these days.
In any case, my thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend. Healing happens. Keep believin!
Love,
Micah Weinberg
all things marx brothers always
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
OK - so Pat says I should ckeck out your blog. And I say "What's a Blog?"
How do you do this?? Where does it say:misterlarry type here!!
I don't like meeting like this. I prefer coffee at the diner - but...
I'm going to send you some of Dave Barry's books. For those days when you want to change focus and read a little. You can put them down anytime to get back to your Marx Brothers movies.
Rosalie's here too.
More later
From Kristina --
My two cents, in no particular order:
Marx Brothers -- Night at the Opera
This Is Spinal Tap
Fawlty Towers
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Best in Show
The Princess Bride
Abbot and Costello
I Love Lucy
Firefly (this was a short-lived but much loved sci fi show from a few years ago. It's got a western theme. Even if you don't particularly like sci fi or westerns (like me :), you should give this one a try. It's a great cast.)
Animal House
Airplane
I'm running out of brain space. I'll keep thinking.
Other fun movies -
- The Banger Sisters
- The Hallelujah Trail
- The Russians Are Coming
- Young Frankenstein
- All of the original pink panther movies
- Stranger than Fiction
For another fun black comedy - there is always Alfred Hitchcocks "The Trouble With Harry"
Wil, I am too lazy to read everyone else's post, so I may be repeating some. :
Any of "The Thin Man" movies are incredibly funny.
Dave loves any and all Monty Python.
We love "High Fidelity" with John Cusak.
I ditto the "Arsenic and Old Lace," and "His Girl Friday."
"Big" and most things Tom Hanks except as he's become serious in later years.
"The Jerk"
"Stripes"
"MASH"
"Naked Gun"
"Blazing Saddles"
"Shrek"
"Caddy Shack"
"Animal House"
Anything National Lampoon's
"Bringing Up Baby"
"Ferris Buehler's Day Off"
"Little Miss Sunshine" -- A few friends of mine say that I remind them of the main character, but I don't see it.
"A Fish Called Wanda"
and one more. . .
"Up in Smoke."
:-)
Bandits, with Billy Bob Thornton and Bruce Willis, is pretty funny.
It's great to keep up with you in such a 21st century fashion! Keep going!
Love,
the other Annie
Movies, ah, what marvelous creations they can be.
My all time favorite movie is 1958 "King of Hearts" with Alan Bates and a young Geneviève Bujold. A Wil & Ann in a would be Athens.
Though the book is much better, "The Horses Mouth" released in the same year is histerical.
How has the demise of Magic Video changed your relation to moviedom?
Tim
Wil,
Faizul and I have been thinking of you and checking on you through the grapevine but did not want to invade your privacy or intrude . . . If there is anything you need . . . let me know. I will look through our movies tomorrow and drop them by.
As usual I am late responding!! Someone else suggested the Big Lebowski......get it.
If just suggesting a movie were the challenge, I gotta raise it one level....."If you can find it, check out Putney Swope. if you can find out, let me know where. This will keep you from wasting time on TV
Post a Comment