Statcounter


View My Stats

Sunday, September 28, 2008

a drunken man's words

.....are a sober man's thoughts. My dad had lots of sayings like this and I wish I had written them down. In my current situation, I think it is somewhat the opposite. I only speak words of encouragement, but off times dark thoughts do creep into my head. No. This is not going to be one of those negative blogs, but sometimes it is good for me to put in writing just what is going on in my hairless noggin.

As predicted, last week we went to Columbus for a second opinion and damned if it isn't just as confusing (with more verbage) as the first opinion. Lots of nice nurses and even a nice doctor, although he was a "close talker" with bad breath! (Gosh, I hope he doesn't find my blog!) Lots of talk about molecular tests and how non-smokers with lung cancer are different. Two kinds: one is worse than the other--but we don't know which is me! At this point I am going to continue with the third chemo on Oct 7th and then get more info on how to proceed after that.

I have had a great week and weekend. I was able to get out of town earlier and then with Ohio University's homecoming and lots of relatives and friends filling our house, it was lots of fun. I am simply amazed at how many people have been so supportive and loving.

Nowadays with some time on my hands, I have lots of things I want to do. Travel, as mentioned earlier, clean out the crap from the garage so I have a workshop, get my financial stuff in order, sort thru a lifetime of pictures (until recently when Anne has them all computerized), and "hang" with friends. Maybe I'll start talking with words like "hang" to show how "with-it" I am! Although that is probably about as likely as me doing the other things I mentioned above. I seem to be the same old procrastinator that I have always been.

Well, maybe this week I will get organized. It has been two weeks since the last chemo and I do feel pretty good. Just the usual shortness of breath. By the way, I am still working on watching some of the movies that you all have sent and suggested. Since I am not a "movie person", it has been slow going--and some of you have pretty weird tastes! (Please know that this movie watching can only be done at night, it is against the rules to watch movies in the daylight.)

...starting to get boring. That's enough.

wil

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope the travel includes new york! the city is magical at christmastime. maybe the whole family could come for a few days. evelyn would love the rockettes!

in the meantime, when i get the travel itch, i always pop in the film 'baraka.' it's not a traditional movie, in that there are no characters, dialogue, or even really a plot. but it's super beautiful and set to a great "world" soundtrack. have i already told you about it?

keep fighting, wil. we're all right here with you, stinky doctor be damned!

love,
t.o.a. (the other annie)

Anonymous said...

Wil,
Enjoying your blog.
The sentence you wrote about your head feeling cold and the altered shadow might be the best writing I've come across all year.
Would offering a breath mint to your doctor be forward? "While we're here, why don't we share a Tic Tac?" Might be a first for the doc.
rich o.

Anonymous said...

LOVED seeing Wil, Lili, Anne, and most of all Evelyn at Casa tonight. You and Bruce do look like twins. Bald is beautiful. Wil loves life and we are all here to help you fight for it!
Lance Armstrong announced he is riding in the next Tour De France the exact same night as the party at CASA, not a coincidence! Now that we are talkin travel -- we gotta go some where they celebrate Key Lime Pie, Half Shell Oysters, and most importantly Sunsets!

Anonymous said...

oh for goodness sake, watch movies in daytime and take walks at midnight.
you're the boss- applesauce.
xoxox