Statcounter


View My Stats

Thursday, September 11, 2008

....what a party it was!

Prior to the start of the 5 pm party at the CASA (local worker owned resturant), a friend asked me if I was nervous about what was to happen at the party. I ventured that I was nervous because I had nothing to do with setting it up and I also didn't know what it was all about. So, at 5 pm Anne and I walked into the CASA and found out that I was the first honoree as an "Eater Owner" at the CASA. They laid out a food spread and had a bar tab for me and everything. Too bad with the chemo I really don't feel like drinking much--but we had a few. It was wonderful, I even received a plaque.


This illness seems to have left me very sensitive to hearing about good things happening--sometimes even if they don't happen to me. Surprisingly enough, I did not "well up" with tears I just had a very good time. I was deeply honored by the award and by my many friends who showed up to party. Many thanks to all and especially the CASAites!!

Now I am looking forward to my second chemo treatment on Monday. Sounds funny to say that, but it has been almost 3 weeks with no treatments or medicine, etc. Even though the chemo makes me kinda sick, I feel like we are trying something that just might work. I hope to try everything that I can in order to improve my condition/position. By the way, my condition is about the same. I have a tightness in my right chest and I quickly become short of breath. But I can still walk uptown to go out to eat, etc. A distance of about 1/3 mile.

One problem is connected to any illness of this sort and that is feeling this pain or that in various places and "now I have something else". That is quite possible, but mostly a hypocondriac condition I am happy to say.

Hair is still falling out--although not in chunks yet. I am damn tempted to shave my head, although I probably won't. I had lots of good suggestions for head, head, and hats last night, so something will come of the missing hair soon.

I guess I will close and try once again to get organized! Now that I am not really working, I have so many things that I want/need to get done. I remember some years ago asking a friend why he feared retirement. I just couldn't understand it. His answer was, "because my work defines my day". Wow, I surely can see that now. Many days I just putter about thinking of all that I didn't get done.

I must close now and do something useful and rewarding. Maybe I will clean the hair out of my keyboard.

wil

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wil it was great to see you last night, keep up the positive thinking! Gail

Unknown said...

Wil-sorry that I missed your party. I did see your picture in the Anews. Great honor!! Greg

Anonymous said...

-- from Kristina
I feel so out of the loop. Stuck shuttling kids around instead of hitting the hottest party in town. I am truly impressed with the honor you have received from Casa. Well-deserved, for sure. And considering some of the things our old Casa group used to say and do in there ages ago, quite a wonder too!

Kristin Campbell-Miller said...

Sorry I missed the party! Hope to see you around town soon.
~Krissy

Christine said...

helluva party Wil...What a tribute! Well deserved.

Anonymous said...

one pager in yesterday's NEWS.

Patty said...

Hi Wil,
So glad to find your blog- thank you for keeping one- reading makes me feel like we are partners in this - www.pattymitchell.blogspot.com
I've been doing chemo since feb- I'll be doing it for another 11 months-- kooky crazy. I totally get the tearing up - if you want to email, instant message- talk about anything- please contact me.
-patty