My good friend Lynn took me to Columbus today for chemo and I feel fine tonight. I will be reporting on my condition tomorrow when this stuff kicks in. I have lots of thoughts on today's medical process.
But first the "Birthday Report". Our little Princess, Evelyn Hollis Alfano turned 3 years old on Sunday. Two parties: First off to Larry's Dog House for a sit-down dinner (well, we sat and Evelyn sat for much of it). Health food for all!! Then over to Lili's house for the cake and more presents. Evelyn looks so much like Lili, it is uncanny and even more wonderful Evelyn didn't get mad and stick her head in the cake!
A great time was had by all!
Having a granddaughter is so wonderful! I have enjoyed my time Evie--biking, going to the library, putting in the swing set and then swinging her Auntie Lauren style, and so on. Of course she is brilliant and I want to be the grandfather that I would love to have had for myself and for my children. Luckily Evie has lots of grandparents who love her and spending time with her.
I have tried and tried to dredge up my first memories and after 60 years or so they are pretty fuzzy, but I really can't clearly remember anything from my third year. Although I have vague recollections of our large house on Reed Street and standing on the "running board" of our l941 Mercury as dad (Hollis) drove it up the drive from work. But the point here is age! Unfortunately, I have cancer (boy, that is hard to say) and odds are good (bad!) that I won't live to a "ripe old age." All this means that I must overcome these stupid odds and at least live some years longer so that Evie and I can enjoy each other and she will remember me and those times!
Did you know that a good meeting should last about an hour, a speech no more than 20 minutes, a good play about an hour and a half with a 10 minute intermission, and a good movie about an hour and a half also?? A good blog post should probably be shorter than this one!!!
More on Chemo, schemo soon.
wil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hope the chemo kickback remains at bay, Wil. And yes, it WAS a wonderful Birthday Party! Great fun with sweet people and a wondrous granddaughter!
From Kristina--
Hope you are still feeling okay after the treatment. What a nice family day to have before your trip to Columbus. One day at a time. (!)
P.S. By the way, in my book, the party doesn't actually get started til someone plants their face in the cake. But that's just me. :)
Hope you're feeling well after your second treatment. I have really come to enjoy reading your posts. Looks like you guys had fun for Evelyn's bday! Have fun on your trip down South.
Hi Wil:
Your blog is such a good idea. I really want to know how you're feeling - all the details. I would be reluctant to ask you each time I see you, so this is a good way to keep your friends apprised. We love you and we're praying for you. (You know, there's scientific evidence that it helps.) I have to admit I'm also praying for Obama. Can't wait to actually see your whole face. Maybe you really are handsome under there. And you and Michael may start to resemble each other more. I'm glad to drive you to Columbus any time. You and Anne have to remember to use your certificate for the B & B. Max makes a great omelette and I ... well, I... make ... keep the place pretty clean. Geez, I didn't realize how much I had to say to you. I do appreciate our friendship and I'm glad to have a chance to tell you how much I care about you. Don't hesitate to call me for anything. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I listen to books on tape. You can get them at the library. Or you can get blogtalkradio or subscribe to some radio shows on the computer. It usually puts me back to sleep within the half hour and if not, I enjoy listening without having to get out of bed or turn on the light. You have to have earphones if you don't want to wake Anne. That's all for now. I'm going to Charlotte this weekend to see my new grand daughter, but hope we can get together soon. Sheila
Darling Mr. Chandler
You're the Primo Chemo Handler..
from one of your many fans
(and this also goes for Anne)
Hey Wil,
Of course, I always have fun at Casa and always have fun with you, BUT, last Wednesday was wonderful. All of the love and warmth really made it feel good to be in this town and with these people. Thanks to Casa for a very genuine event.
Jen Simon
Post a Comment