Statcounter


View My Stats

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Naked....

Well, the mustache became too scraggly and thin so I shaved it also. I must admit that I am feeling quite naked for the first time. Shaving the head hair alone wasn't too bad, but now that the "soup strainer" is gone too I feel quite a different "look". I must admit that it bothers me.

Certainly one should not define their identity by their head or facial hair and at some rational level I am in complete agreement with that idea. However, sometimes in this life business the "irrational" creeps in. I definately feel somewhat naked!

Josh and I had a good trip. Straight up to Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northwestern Michigan, then on to the UP, Lake Superior, Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh, Plymouth and then finishing up seeing old army friends (from over 40 years ago!) near West Lafayette Indiana. Two things stood out for me: One, how plain (maybe ugly) the campus at U of W Oshkosh where I did my undergraduate work was, and two, the simple fact that we tried to do too much in 5 days! Oh well, there will be other trips with lots better planning! Those of us who live in Athens should be grateful for a pretty little town with a beautiful campus.

Chemo days are pretty well over for now (until Mon 27) so I have a week of feeling good--almost normal whatever that is... Time to take long walks, rustle the leaves with my feet just like that little boy in far away Plymouth, Wisconsin used to do. Also to rake the leaves, clean the garage a bit, maybe even sweep up some of the "stinko ginko" seeds from our tree, anything to be outside in the gorgeous fall weather. Also to plan trips and dream of going other places.

Sometimes when I look at the "new Wil" in the mirror, I wonder who the hell that old man is! But this soon passes with the help of all the support people have sent my way. This is certainly a transformative (is that a word?) time and one which I will pass through and come out the other side a different, stronger, more knowledgeable, and certainly more understanding person.

Please remember to get outside and have some fun today!

wil

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Caught wind of your blog a few weeks ago (not because it stinks either; i know how your mind works)
AND it's amazing. I really appreciate how you share yourself with us. Also, today I've been feeling tired and a bit moody and much of it lifted because of today's entry. I'm going outside right now! Thanks Wil, enjoy your travels. Stacy (from VB)

Christine said...

Glad you and Josh made it all around well! Thanks for the update and the perspective on our town... your old haunts and life in general.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wil,

Haven't commented for a while. I know that's hard to believe that I have kept my mouth shut, but. . .I have.

I invited you guys over to our Halloween party, I hope you can make it. I sent it through your work e-mail I believe. Anyway, we are going to have quite the mix of people over and look forward to it all. I love this town because of its diversity.

Glad to hear you got to do the fall tour with Josh. He must be fun to hang out with. . . At least he seemed like it to me as we played against one another in softball.

It is past 10:35 on a school night and I have been on this computer way too long tonight. So, if none of this makes sense, you'll know why.

Can't wait to see you again.

Jennifer Simon

Anonymous said...

Transformative is absolutely a word and can be a beautiful adjective. It has the air of infinite possibilities.

Okay, must stop waxing poetic. I think my DayQuil is getting the better of me.

Dutch said...

Hey Wil, I don't really know you, just of you, but Amy R recommended your blog and I have been reading. You may be interested in this website: http://www.vitaminb17.org/ . The theory is that B17 is an effective alternative treatment for cancer -- it's actually in a cancer drug called Laetrile. Now take this with a grain of salt, but it's something we came across when my father-in-law had bladder cancer.

Also, those aching joints could probably benefit from a massage. I'm an LMT and would be happy to work on you, gratis. My father-in-law experienced great relief from massage during his illness, and I want to offer that to other cancer sufferers.

Take care -
Erin Nash, LMT