Statcounter


View My Stats

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

....Strong Wil

I did vow that I was not going to send more Key West pics to this blog--but at least this one has no happy people! Key West sunsets are beautiful even w/0 the bright sun.














The others are to demonstrate some things that have become "all too true" in my life! I often wondered why people sucked in their breath for photo opts. Now I have that pot gut and non-muscle stomach that they were avoiding! As for this other, even under the tee shirt you can still see the "bulging muscles". .....not!

My muscle tone is gone, gone, gone. I used to think that people can just build them up. Nope. I don't feel good much of the time and having a big headache or being dizzy is not conducive to building up muscles. Sad.

Speaking of sick, I have been quite sick much of the time since my last chemo on Apr 12. Better this week though. It is very difficult to realize I am either very old or sick and think of all those who have been here before me. Many times I find myself "tearing up" over minor things. I think this is called spontaneous eruption--or something like that.
I guess it happens to lots of us oldsters and I should just see it for what it is and enjoy it. (Although the crying does scare some people.)

I would like to once again thank all those who read this blog. It was designed so that I did not have to explain my story and "progress" to everyone. As my illness slogs along it becomes more and more difficult to give the whole time line. I would like to clarify one thing that lots of people ask about. "How often do you get chemo?" Every three weeks. "How many more sessions do you have?" This is my third kind of chemo. I receive chemo until the CTscan shows it is not working, then they change chemos. My disease is Not curable! I am told it will not go away. So, I guess I will receive chemo until I "expire". Yep, every 3 weeks.

Finally a word about advice. In a college town like Athens and having lots of wonderful friends causes me to get lots and lots of "advice". Many people know the "cure" some of which I am actually already doing. Anyhow giving advice is human and I believe a good thing to do. But I would like to remind people that there is a big difference between saying "always (or never) do this or eat this" which can be a real turn off and saying, "have you tried this or that? It might help or it helped somewhat." The second approach will get me to listen each time.

My goals continue: to have lots of fun while I can; and to help others however possible.
Good night.

4 comments:

Amy R. said...

I'm a big fan of "spontaneous eruptions." As Dolly Parton says in Steel Magnolias: "Laughing through tears is my favorite emotion!"

It just shows people you value and are grateful for what and who you have!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wil,

Just a note to say I continue to love the blog and am a regular reader. I'm surprised my subscription continues as I haven't paid for a really...well, never.
Crying, I think, is the removal of those things that stupidly stop us from crying all the time. Each day has enough to warrant tears of all kinds.
And thirdly, I've never seen anyone do a "pit check" by feel. Exactly how thick a layer of deodorant do you apply? Well, your armpits have never driven me to tears, more than I can say for myself.
Keep on enjoying each day.
Rich O.

MWales said...

as the great Joni Mitchell sings, "Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release!" Thanks for being you and for the updates. Sorry it's been rough goings lately.

Elwood Allen Chandler said...

What an insightful, educational, and downright awesome blog from another great American. Wil you are loved by many and a true inspiration.
Love your nephew,
Allen