....travel that is! After the past two weeks, I feel all "traveled out"!
First some great time in Key West, then arriving back at 1:00 am Christmas morn we had a great time with a family Christmas. Then off on the 26th driving to see Anne's sister in Maryland and then the next day we drove to New York City! Of course we went to Times Square, also the large Public Library, and even to Columbus Circle where a sculpture by an Athens artist David Hostetler is at the Trump Plaza Hotel! Lots more as well, but it was colder than the North Pole (certainly colder than hell)!
After leaving NYC on the 30th and a night in Pennsylvania, I had a CT scan in Columbus--with a delicious barium swallow--yesterday (31st) and then back to Athens for New Year's eve. Too tired and not feeling well enough to go anywhere for any celebration!
Travel should be fun and it was, but the last week has been a real learning experience!! So, what the hell have I learned! Never, never, drive to Manhattan! We spent hours waiting to get into the Lincoln Tunnel going in and then going out the tunnel again was crowded, but at least I could turn and after much consternation find the route to the George Washington Bridge. What a nightmare.
So, maybe I am stupid, maybe too old to be driving in a city, or maybe just bad luck! At any rate, definitely no more driving to Manhattan!! Some would ask--with good reason--what is an old guy with a very serious illness doing all this travel for anyhow? But what is a guy to do? Take up stamp collecting? Or maybe spend more time at the office?
I have places I want to go and things I want to do and learn-- darn it. I am going to try to do a lot while I still can. If the doctors are wrong--and I sure hope that is the case--I will be able to have done even more, learned more, and seen more than I ever believed I could. And my personal "Bucket List" will be larger than ever. But, for now, I need a bit of rest.
Please have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
1 comment:
How do you guys do it?? I get exhausted just reading about your adventures! But you always have bright smiles and seem to be enjoying it all - good for you! And I could relate to the traffic in NYC, into Lincoln Tunnel - and during the holidays no less! OMG - ha! (After my one time, I swore never again.) One of these days hopefully we can be in NYC at the same time visiting our boys. That would be a blast! HAPPY NEW YEAR - I wish you two all the best.
Love, Debbie
Post a Comment