....but you can't take him just anywhere!
Last Saturday night I had the good fortune to be the MC for a well attended benefit for the local child advocate system (CASA/GAL). This is a great volunteer organization which works with the county court system. ...and what a deal it was. A great fund raiser with fun for all attending.
The good news is that I had a great time with lots of fun. I also got to wear my tuxedo one more time. Tuxedo? Good news? Yep, I bought this tuxedo about 15 years ago and it still fits! Also, each time I wear it, it costs less! I figure it is down to about $12 per wearing and I hope to get it under $10 soon.
The bad news is that I am not very good at this MC thing. I found myself grasping (gasping?) for words at various times, somewhat confused about the proceedings, and even doing a live auction for the first time for an expensive item. Like I said, I had a great time, but I wish I had done better. I think I should not have agreed to do it so soon after having chemo the day before.
It also becomes clear to me that I should have rehearsed for this role in order to do a better job! Thinking about it I believe I can "smell" a lifelong pattern here. I have never been very good at planning, preparing, rehearsing, or whatever word one might use. Moves like deciding to join the army in 2 days or deciding to go to grad school as a late undergrad (mediocre grades were a problem) Things have generally worked out by skill, good thoughts, or more likely, damn good luck. I have had a good life with lots of stops and starts in all areas! More thought and better planning would have made it easier, I bet.
This cancer thing has caused me to plan for events more often then I certainly would like to. This includes my diet although the best example is the chemo every three weeks. But, if I know I am leaving town it can be stretched out a bit. Of course, that requires more planning--like for my upcoming trip to Wisconsin on the 17th. It seems that this semi-retirement gig requires more planning than before.
On Sunday, immediately after the benefit, it was off to NYC. Perhaps also too soon after chemo, but I have bored myself and others enough tonight. Please stay tuned for the adventures of ric, jack, and wil--three boys from hills explore the big city! Typically with very little planning!
1 comment:
Lookin' good m'man!
Post a Comment