



Plymouth, Wi, has a huge holstein cow in a small park downtown and I am so sad not to have a pic of me with this marvelous bovine creature. I have enclosed a pic of Evelyn at a vendors stall during the Willie Nelson concert just to show that "tie dye is really back". I guess it skipped a generation! Anyhow, the Willie Nelson thing was really fun.
The morning after the concert, Josh and I lit out for Wisconsin. We spent a fun night in Indiana with old army buddies learning to play "ladder golf"! I am sure this will soon replace the game, "cornhole" (I didn't make that name up!!) now being played by the college kids that infest (I mean inhabit) our neighborhood.
Then on to Wisconsin after the nightmare that driving around Chicago always is. Looking back on the trip, I feel a bit guilty as everybody was so nice and had 2 great parties, yet I am not sick and don't even feel too bad! But seeing people was great and I really enjoyed it.
The first party was a gathering of about 15-20 of us from the class of '61. I wondered who all those old people were until I looked in the mirror and "they" is "us"! We talked, ate, and drank(this was Wisconsin after all!). Took a bunch of pictures too; including the one above of the group laughing after trying to "get it together" This little "do" was held at Kathy A's in Glenbeulah, as the sign says, population 328. Dontya just love that name?
The next day there was a gathering of people at the lake where I grew up--waterskiing and getting into trouble. The pic of some of the gang was on Paul and Kathy S. porch. We then took a boat ride around the lake--great fun. Believe it or not there were people putting in their piers by standing chest deep in the cold water--this was Wisconsin after all! I must mention that fact that we were served locally producted "Sartori cheeses". The best cheese I have ever had--this was Wisconsin after all!
It was magic: old friends; the lake; Josh and I located the burial places of some grandparents; and we reconnected with my cousin after 40 years! Everybody up there seems to know everybody, in fact my cousin used to babysit for the Sartori family--probably for my friend Paul!
Then we were back in sunny Athens in time to go to a bar mitzvah (I don't have to know how to spell that.), something that I never saw at Plymouth, Wisconsin, growing up. I heard there were Jews in Sheboygan and even black people in Milwaukee, but all I ever seemed to see were old Germans (heavy accent, some spoke German) and young people of German ancestry (just the midwest accent). This was Wisconsin, after all!
Well, enough of this, a CTscan on Wednesday and chemo next Monday. We are hoping for good news on this scan! Thanks to all for thinking of me.
1 comment:
Glad you and Josh made the trip back home safely. Great seeing you both.
By the way, you're busted on the fact that you only understand "Wisconsinese", but don't speak it - as less than 2 hours over the Wisconsin line you were already saying "I'm down by Adell." What's up with that, eh?
Post a Comment