Statcounter


View My Stats

Monday, April 27, 2009

"What you don't all see....




.....when you ain't got a gun!"

My dad used to say that a lot. Usually when he came down to the basement and saw my friends and I playing sheephead (a gambling card game which seems to be only found in certain parts of Wisconsin). Somehow we always managed to hear my dad coming and ditch the beer!!

I have lived in my favorite little college town of Athens for almost 40 years now and I have done a lot, learned a lot and had a lot of fun! It is a great place to live, raise children, and stay young. How the hell I became 65, I'll never understand. About 5 mornings a week Roxy, the wonder dog, and I take an early morning walk up the hill behind our house. The earlier I go the prettier it seems to be with the river and hills in the distance. I've inserted a few pics from a little later today although I wish I had a better camera!

But enough of that! I am goin to chemo on Friday, big night Saturday, and then off on a boys trip to NYC on Sunday. I hope I make it!!

I really wanted to talk a bit about Wisconsin here!! Lately I have been hearing from some of my high school classmates and feeling like I miss my roots! I know it's all different--hell, there is no Rexall Drugs and they have had a Walmart for years! But it is really pretty country and even though I don't really speak the language anymore, I can understand it! So, right after the Willie Nelson concert in nearby Nelsonville (appropriate place, huh?), I think I have conned my son into driving with me to the old "home country". We will be leaving on May 17th and I plan on spending at least 3 days up in Sheboygan County!

Everybody has some kind of geographic roots and it does a mind good to think about them and revisit them--both mentally and physically--every now and then. More on this visit later.

I have lots of inner aches that scare me, but I am well today and hoping for a good report on Friday. Let's all stay well and remember to have lots of fun whenever we can! wil

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed the post, Wil. Looking forward to seeing you in NYC, let's hope for some nice weather!

Lanny said...

You and Josh are welcome to come up through MI and stay with us on your way to WI. Amelie is in Key West for a month volunteering as an intern for a non-profit called Reef Relief. Went to Blue Heaven but there was an hour and a half wait and we were starved so we had to move on. Sent you a couple of pics on your cell phone of me with a very attractive drag queen. Someday the four of us should meet down there for a few days and enjoy the town together. Keep up the positive attitude - it's contagious. Much love from up north.