Statcounter


View My Stats

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow is a Great Thing


It snowed a bunch last night and this am in Athens, so I need to round up Evelyn and do some sleding. ....or is it sledding? Oh well, it will be fun.


But first I will report on my travels. Nope, no skiing this time. Just a trip to the OSU medical center to see the dr and get a little chemo!

Lots of people ask me about the chemo. I first went through 6 treatments last fall with some sort of chemical "cocktail". They were quite hard and somewhat tiring, but apparently I did not have it so bad as I did not get sick to my stomach as so many do.


Now I have had my second treatment with only a drug called Avasatin (I know that is spelled wrong, but none of us know medical terms anyhow. These treatments are not bad at all. Only takes about an hour and last evening I was good enough to go to Yoga although I certainly don't feel very yogi like these days.

As usual the staff at OSU was helpful and the "Fellow" (an attractive young female) Doctor was very patient and answered lots of questions from me and my friend Awni who took me up there. As usual, the dr (my second) was very competent and answered my questions, but I do wish he were more positive! But I think I have begun to solve that.

OSU has an Integrative Medicine program which I asked him about. He gave me the information, but admitted that he doesn't think it works!! He said it would be fine if I tried it and so I called the CIM (center for integrative medicine) at OSU and got an appointment.
They were very positive and helpful and that combined with my friends in Athens and my own positive approach is going to make me a "survivor" for a long time!

Off to be in the snow now. Remember to get "out and about".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Wil,
I've been enjoying your addition of photos to your posts. I heard you had fun sledding w/ Evelyn during your level 3 in town. Glad to hear you are getting out and about! Miss you all.

valentina said...

Oh what a gorgeous child she is! I am glad you are enjoying her and teaching her how to sled! How many hours did we spend doing that as kids? I grew up in Pgh where we had lots of snow and we lived on a notorious hill. We'd come in at dusk frozen and red. I can remember my dad holding my little fingers under cold water and gradually warming it up to thaw me out! We also got a shot of kirschwasser if we wanted it! Evelyn's a tad young for the booze yet...but you might enjoy it! xovalorie

Anonymous said...

No, you aren't the only one who likes winter! It must be our Wisconsin/Michigan roots. The ice you can have, however. There were high schools kids in the yard behind us sledding on Wednesday and I almost went out and ask to join them. They were also sledding at 10:30 p.m. but I let that pass. Watch Andrew in the Super Bowl tonight, Bud Light, Conan O'Brian, A is a "German punker" and I hope we recognize him. I'm open for chemo trips if you need a ride; been there and done that, ya know. Would be glad to help. JUdy