another big learning experience!
In my last blog I mentioned I was going skiing in upstate New York for a few days. Wrong! Wrong on several counts! First, upstate NY apparently ends around Albany. We went to north about 2-3 more hours driving to Plattsburgh, stayed with old friends there and went skiing at White Face (Lake Placid). We were told that we were in the "North Country", not upstate! I was also told that there are 3 great things about Plattsburgh: 1) Lake Placid; 2) Burlington VT; and 3) Montreal--less than a 2 hour drive. That's my kind of humor!
The next thing I was wrong about was to think I was on a "ski trip". We arrived on Monday and went skiing Tuesday in the cold (about 10 degrees and windy) until they closed the gondola and several of the lifts. Wednesday was about 10 below and Thursday was so cold that many ski areas were actually closed due to the weather! In fact, Friday morning on our way back to the Albany airport the temp was -27 in some places! So, besides a very enjoyable visit with friends and seeing the area, one can sit in a nice organic restuarant and drink coffee, etc. See above pic.
Another area of error was to try to ride next to my son on the plane! I learned quickly to try to avoid someone as broad shouldered and big as Josh! I am really liking small people on airplanes.
But we did have a good time and a good trip in spite of the weather.
...and now I wonder if a blogger (that'd be me) can go back and add something to the last blog?
Did I call myself a "blogger"? A blogger I is then. On Tuesday, while skiing alone, I realized several more reasons for my particular hobby and many others as well. A person gets to meet and talk with others on lifts, in the lodge, etc who you would not meet otherwise. And finally, skiing causes one to be "in the moment"! It is very important to pay attention and think of what is happening and what will be happening after that.
I am way out of my "comfort level" with this cancer thing, but I did not choose it! Yet I do think it is important for all of us to sometimes deliberately leave our "comfort level" (going skiing in my case) so that we can grow and learn!
Remember to always try to have a good time! wil
2 comments:
In contrast to Plattsburg, Athens must feel tropical! Welcome back.
Your comment about why ski got me thinking about Boating. It's the same thing, why do I enjoy riding around on water, burning gasoline so much. It's just riding around. But I think you said it, it's being in the moment. One of the same things tennis does for me. Hard to do either of those things well if you're worried about something else.
Post a Comment