
.....still a lot better than a good day in the office! I went skiing Monday and Tuesday at Snowshoe in WVa. There wasn't much snow on Monday and Tuesday we were singing that old song, "Skiing in the Rain, just skiing in the Rain"! You all remember that old song, Gene Kelly wasn't it?
I have noticed that I talk lots about skiing and I have given it a lot of thought lately. What is it about this "skiing thing" that is so important to me? For those of you who have done it, the thrill of navigating down the hill at fairly high speed is a great thing, but it is really more than that.
It is a hobby, a release, a time to be quiet and observe the winter outdoors, a way to travel to different places with friends, and a chance to test myself in lots of ways. Lots of people have hobbies (playing games, sewing, boating, travel, etc), but until I took up skiing 10 short years ago I think work was my major thing with no clear recreational release. It sure is great to stand quietly at the top of a ski slope and look out at the mountains, the lakes or the trees.
It is great to anticipate "ski times" and then fun to ride and converse with ski buddies on the trip both to and from the slopes. In fact, many of my dreamed upon ski trips never happen for one reason or another, but the anticipation is not a bad thing at all. My Aunt Evelyn used to say that "anticipation" and "fond memories" of her trips were as important as the trips themselves!
So, with the above in mind, I think I'll take another ski trip. This one will be to upstate New York. I can't believe how much trouble I have adding pics to these blogs. They never come out in the place where I want them! Oh well, just another of life's little problems on my journey--or whatever I am on.
I have tried to add a pic of me above in my "winter hot tub outfit" on the way to the neighbors' hot tub. I hope it comes out as it is a real good looking outfit!
6 comments:
Oh yes, especially cool is the untied shoe look!
xov
Oh, I don't know. I think the towel skirt wins the cool prize. My son and I are headed to Wisp tomorrow, even though the conditions don't look great. Oh well, any day skiing is better than a day at the office, eh?
Seriously, Wil, you look great and we all should spend more time outdoors being active. Thanks for leading the way.
Love to you and Anne,
--Leeanna
wooo woooo check out those exposed ankles.
you are AMAZING.....I love reading your blog; thanks for sharing yourself with us. is it people, experiences, or all those Village Bakery oatmeal cookies that gives you such strength??
Wil,
I fear running into somebody wearing that outfit every time I brave a rest area. Great to catch up on your blog. Happy skiing this winter!
rich o
My favorite part of vacation is backing out of the drive-way to head out. There is just something about that moment! Everybody is happy and beaming. Aaaahhhh...
Wil, you and Anne are so dear!
mb
We were in WV Jan. 10 looking for snow and hiking, too, and all we got was rain! I need a good Michigan snow storm before this winter is over. Judy
Post a Comment