......I think just "or what". But at least I am continuing the Holiday Season image!
So, I've had a fun week--going to Columbus on both Monday and Wednesday. What could be more fun than that? Maybe going on Tuesday and Thursday as well?
On Monday Anne and I went armed with cards to write, books, newspapers, apples and oranges(in case the waiting time went thru the dinner hour). Sure enough, the waiting time was long--but we were ready and it didn't seem too bad.
"The James" is one hell of a big place and you do get to visit with lots of people! One funny main check-in lady, another check in person at the 10th floor, the nurse to take me in for my vitals (which were not nearly as high as with Dr Doom). Then back out to wait for a room, then ushered into a room and brought a bottle of water (next time I'll check for a beer), then the Resident Doctor comes in for a long time with lots of questions (a nice guy) who returned a long time later with Dr Otterson who is obviously a "grizzled slightly over-weight veteran" of the doctor patient wars.
His first question is something like: "why switch to me after such a long time with the other doctor"? We indicated that we had received nothing but "gloom and doom" from the other doctor. Dr O quickly went over the fact that I have an incurable disease and he could not change that. We gottcha doc, but still would like some encouragement. Or, as Anne put it, a cheerleader or a coach. He ventured that he had never been called a "cheerleader" before!
We talked further and I became his patient. I then waited for a nurse to take us to yet another very pleasant really over-weight woman to sign me up immediately for CT scan and then another appt with Dr O and some treatment that same appt day. Dr O said 6 of what I have had is enough since my feet were losing all feeling. Seems like a good guy, I liked him.
Wednesday back alone for the CT scan armed with lots of things to read and the apple and orange. Into another large building--that OSU is one big place--where the pleasant surprise was that they took me 45 minutes ahead of time and I was on my way home by 1 pm. ...clutching my bag with the unread book, apple, and orange. Is it too cynical to say that "the James" is only one and 1/2 hours from Athens?
The size is intimidating, the wait can be very long, but I think the James will be good for me. I need to continue working on understanding my condition and anything I can do to help change it for the better. Even the woman at Dr Doom's office said that I should be at the James when I told her I was leaving!
Now, in the interest of mental health, I must report on the trip that we have to take to Key West. We are leaving Sunday and returning the following Saturday. When in Key West, one always is exposed--sometimes literally--to new vistas and horizons--the daily sunset is beautiful. I will miss much of the Christmas season in Athens (at least a little) and the opportunity to go skiing. But sometimes one has to sacrifice!
More Holiday Cheer to All!
3 comments:
I have to say, Wil, vous semblez magnifiques!
And seeing that beautiful picture of you and Anne (Christmas card) that I received today, I just had to smile. You both are so fortunate to have found each other, it was truly meant to be.
Have a wonderful, relaxing, romantic holiday in the Keys - you both deserve it.
Merry Christmas.
J'aime vous tous les deux!
--Debbie C.
Dear Wil,
Great photo! Thanks for all your continuing news on this blog. Dr. O and The James sound like just the ticket for you. I remember OSU being HUGE from all my visits there during the years we lived in Athens.
I wish you and Anne a fabulous Key West vacation during the coming week.
You're so smart to escape the winter weather---we have a winter storm warning here in CT for tomorrow, complete with 5-9 inches of snow. Richard's school has already declared tomorrow a snow day, and mine will likely close, too.
Enjoy a few sunsets for us, ok?
Cheers,
Wenda
Have a great vacation Wil, and a Merry Christmas!
~Megan Macartney
Post a Comment