I have been in a quandary for most of my life about smells and people, but since I have been sick I am gaining some understanding. Let me explain. I always knew why old women "smelled"--it is because--for whatever reason--they wore too much cheap perfume. But old men were another question. All my life I have showered every day--I guess I saw it as a "wake-up" as well as a "clean-up" thing.
So now I find myself old and sick as well. I think I have the answer! For the past week, since my chemo last Monday, I have had trouble dragging myself out of bed let alone taking a long shower--some days any shower. This latest round of chemo has really not had me very interested in doing anything. I realize now that I must smell like an old man!
I did do two things for sure though. One, during one of the beautiful sunny days (70 deg) last week Roxie and I did take a walk on our familiar trail up along the ridge above our house--slowly of course. Beautiful. And two, even not feeling well I did go out to eat a special dinner with Lili, Colin, and the grand and glorious, Evelyn. I don't think that Granddaughters care whether the old boy stinks or not!
I have spent the week coughing phloem up from my right lung (lots of it although at least not bloody) and trying to clear my sinus from all the snot (is that too gross a picture?). So all week long it is either coming up or coming down. What a revolting state of affairs! One good thing for other people, my voice seems to have left me except for a whisper. Today I do feel much better and I am hoping to get back to "normal" soon, whatever that is! You know, it still seems like my condition is not very good, but I am trying to make peace with the situation and have all the good thoughts that I can have about my illness and the world in general.
That's enough for today, I think I will go up and take a nice long shower!
3 comments:
I love you even if you stink :)
We've been loving you all these years despite the smell! :-)
I thought that old men smelled like old coffee breath, and who would want to drink that stuff anyways?
I'm sure you smell just peachy, and when in doubt, blame the dog, they always stink...
~Megan
Post a Comment