Statcounter


View My Stats

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wil's Cancer!

It turns out that about a month ago I found myself short of breath. After numerous visits, x-rays, cat scans, etc it was established that I had some type of lung cancer in my right lung.

Since then I have had the lung drained twice as an outpatient in Athens and at Riverside in Columbus. Then last week (for my 65 birthday) I went into Riverside, had lung drained again, a port put in and then the next day a pluradesis performed to fuse the walls of the lung together so the fluid would stop accumulating. (Please note: I am not at all familiar with all that is going on with my illness and the correct labeling of what is being done.) All in all a pretty painful process, but the staff at Riverside was tops.

I was released from the hospital last Sunday and I have grown stronger all week. On Friday, Anne took me to Columbus and I had my first Chemo. Surprisingly, I feel pretty good today--even took a short bike ride. My next treatment is scheduled for September 15. It turns out I have adnocarcenoma and it is not yet clear exactly where the cancer cells are. All the doctors involved here (5 in all) have been doing the very best they can, but I must say that my long time friend, Dr Mark Rothstein, has been helpful way above what anyone could expect.

This whole thing has really caught me by surprise and "knocked me for a loop" as I have been very healthy almost all my life. When you hear that you have stage 4 cancer it is very scary!

Anyhow enough for my first attempt at getting a blog together. I plan on continuing to send my thoughts as I work hard to fight this thing. Thanks for listening.

No comments: