Statcounter


View My Stats

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Now......for something quite different.





At my wonderful birthday party my sister brought along some old photos that I thought I might share. Many years ago, my son's mother and I had a farm in Vinton County. Vinton Co is just west of Athens and a very rural county where the population had slipped to about 9000 for the whole county. It was my first property. We had a hill country farm--this is Appalachian Ohio, you know--of 115 acres and started with a log house and no plumbing.

I loved it! We had chickens, goats, sheep, a brood sow and a pony that did not want to be ridden! I guess that is what happens when you get a "free" pony. I learned so much about plumbing, electric, farming and construction--not to mention learning from and about my neighbors of all sorts.

The pictures include me and the baby and young child, Joshua. The important one shows Aunt Evelyn when she visited from Wisconsin to see the newborn. Evelyn looked after me in my late teenage years when my mother became ill and she had a home for me to return to after my 3 years in the army. She was like a mom to me and a grandmother to my children. In fact, Lili named my grandaughter after her. (The picture with Evie also includes the "toilet room".)

Enough nostalgia for now. I guess I should a add a new category to my "index of old people." Along with talking about the weather and their health, you might recognise "old people" also by our bringing out 30 year old pictures!! Oh well, at least I haven't--as many of my old friends have--been bitching about the "problems with young people today" and "the country today" as many old people seem to do.

We seemed to have survived Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bushes, Clinton, etc. If we keep working at it, we will not only survive our national crises, but even have the next generation grow up to start bitching (and worrying) about the generation following them!

Of course I have lots of other things on my mind, but a blog w/o my problems is a great blog! The fall weather is here--sunny, dry, cool nights, warm days. I love it and must get out now to enjoy it.


p.s. The other day I tried to comment on a friend's blog and found it quite difficult so I thought I would once again add my email for another route.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice pics!

Anonymous said...

Wil: Even though I knew you in those days when you were young, I'll be brutally frank: The only person I recognize in those pictures is the dear and unforgettable Aunt Evi. You are so "distinguished" now. Best, Tom

Unknown said...

Hi wil,

Been a long while since I returned to your blog, but from the read I take away your incurable humar is oas of your with complex associations of wisdom and 'festina lente' wonderment.

Very glad for you and all who care about you.

Now as for that bit on becoming well-traveled, think coast and come see us.

tim

Unknown said...

Damn, need to put the car in park before opening the door. So here is a re-write:

BHi Wil,

Been a very long while since I returned to your blog, but from the read I take away your incurable humor is as of yore; with new complex associations of wisdom and 'festina lente' wonderment [look that one up bub].

Very glad for you and all who care about you.

Now as for that bit on becoming well-traveled, think coastwise and come see us.

tim

Lanny said...

Nice to see a picture of Aunt Evelyn. I remember her from years ago.

lili said...

I still think you look younger now! And, please start mentioning embarrassing things about my brother, like: it was his pony & he named her 'Princess'!

lili said...

Omigod! After a year, I've finally managed to figure out how to post comments on your blog from my phone!!! WATCH OUT! Love you Dad. Someday I'll be as strong (and goofy) as you are :)

Anonymous said...

Lili, You could always ask Tom for the embarrasing brother stories. He has one or two he remembers. Anne