Statcounter


View My Stats

Friday, July 24, 2009

From Cali, with love................

.........but no luggage!

It is about 5:30 here in Colombia and I seem to be the only one up! I slept well, but not long. The weather here is great. Hot and dry--very few bugs that I have seen.

We have been here 2 days now and American Airlines apparently has seen fit to drop our luggage someplace else! None of our 4 bags has arrived here (4 people w/o stuff!) and we are limping along. Fortunately, we are staying with Anne Walker's sister and husband, and 92 year old mother, so we do have a washer--no dryers here in this climate.

This place is like a foreign country! !! Everybody speaking Spanish and lots of people everywhere (about 2-3 million in this town). I am a small town boy, but it sure is interesting to see all the people--many of them poor; the traffic--assertive driving here, but not agressive; and the daylight--it gets dark shortly after 6 pm and is just now becoming morn at 6 am. No short or long days for these "near equator" people.

Yesterday we drove to one of the poorest sections of town where Anne Walkers family has been intrumental in setting up an elementary school for the poor children. They not only started the school in a church, but now have put up a building right smack in the poor neighborhood. (pictures at another time). The building has 8 classrooms and a large outdoor recreation area. The rooms are all 3 sided (away from the rainy side) and don't need to be enclosed in this weather--no heat or AC here! Anne's sister's husband is chairman of the school board--what a great endeavor!

We also went to a musee de oro and looked at the gold and other artifacts including the architecture in the "old city". I have no idea what is in store for us today--it's kinda refreshing to have "tour guides" and transportation so I really don't have to give it any thought!

However, I am thinking lots about my missing suitcase! Amazing how much second guessing one can do on what should have been in my backpack! ....or maybe even to do a carry-on with my suitcase on this long overseas trip! I do know that today I must be off looking for some fish oil and other supplements as per my integrative doctor.

Buenas Dias--it's morning now! Ciao, wil

No comments: