Statcounter


View My Stats

Saturday, November 14, 2009

"What happens in Las Vegas........





.......stays in Las Vegas!" Well, not exactly, since I am going to discuss the trip to Vegas right here!

Many people ask me why as, not much of a gambler(although I did manage to lose about $100), I would want to go to Vegas? Two simple answers: the first I give quite often these days, namely that some damn doctor has said that I will be gone in 1 year--4 at the outside!!!! I am trying to prove him very wrong, but just in case I want to see all that I can. Certainly not to "spend more time in the office".

Second, I was only in Las Vegas once before and that was to spend a long weekend and get married. Now, that was fun but I was "other occupied" with lots of things.

So, I packed up a bag and head off with 3 friends who know the place. I had a great fact finding time in lots of ways:

1. Hotels are cheap.
2. Flights are cheap--and direct!
3. Shows are pretty expensive. We saw the Cirque de Soleil Beatles show and it was truly wonderful--wonderful!!
4. Sometimes people stay up all night playing cards (not me) and don't seem worse for the wear.
5. The downtown is very interesting, less expensive, and not very close.
6. "The Strip" has everything one can imagine and all these places are right next to each other, but still a long walk away!
7. Somehow I though it would be quite warm there, but it was as cold as here in Athens.
8. I thought I would "learn to gamble" but somehow that did not happen. I do have more interest and understanding, but not really much of either.
9. My new cell phone not only will do "texting"--yes, I can do it!! But will take pretty good pictures when I don't have a camera along. Even "self-portraits" if your arms are long!
10. Finally, and unfortunately very important, there is the fact evidenced these days that I have a belly for the first time! (Note the pic at the hotel where even the flamingos in the background thought I was fat)I do not like it and am into avoidance. I need to work at losing the protuberance by exercise--or at least pulling in my fat belly.

Well, enough facts for one day and I guess I still prefer Key West. For now, I need to go off to get some culture tonight at that local cultural mecca, Nelsonville, Ohio.

No comments: